Here’s a good post by Harriet Hall at the Science Based Medicine blog on nutritional supplements. She concludes:
- As my correspondent put it, “the public mania for nutritional supplements is baseless.”
- In general, all our nutritional needs can be supplied by an adequate diet.
- Supplements are beneficial for a few specific evidence-based indications; otherwise, they offer no benefits and may even be risky.
- Diet supplements are not medicines, but are being used as medicines.
- DSHEA should be repealed.